I saw a thread on Reddit (r/indieheads) about their favorite songs by the Dismemberment Plan, and obviously, it was pretty much just Emergency & I’s tracklist, which is one of my favorites and an all time, critically acclaimed classic. The album that followed it, Change, is right up there with it. But I digress.
The A side of Emergency & I is incredible, like holy fuck could it be any better? There is an argument to be made that it’s the best A side or 4 track run in indie rock, which got me thinking…
What are the best A-sides in indie rock? To limit the scope, lets say circa 1995 to circa 2005, with the A side limited to roughly 4 tracks (in the case of a double album vs single album).
My personal favorites are:
1. The Dismemberment Plan – Emergency & I (1999)
- A Life of Possibilities > Memory Machine > What Do You Want Me to Say > Spider in the Snow
2. Broken Social Scene – You Forgot it in People (2003)
- Capture the Flag > KC Accidental > Stars & Sons > Almost Crimes
3a. Modest Mouse – The Moon & Antarctica (2000)
- 3rd Planet > Gravity Rides Everything > Dark Center of the Universe > Perfect Disguise
3b. Modest Mouse – Good News for People Who Love Bad News (2004)
- Horn Intro > World at Large > Float On > Ocean Breathes Salty
4. Kings of Convenience – Riot on an Empty Street (2004)
- Homesick > Misread > Cayman Islands > Stay out of Trouble > Know How (*had to cheat on this one, “Know How” featuring Feist is such an incredible tune.)
5. The Notwist – Neon Golden (2003)
- One Step Inside Doesn’t Mean You’ll Understand > Pilot > Pick Up the Phone > Trashing Days
What do you think? What are your personal favorites?