This year was great for reading because for one, I rediscovered the library and two, I got laid off in June which gave me a lot of free time to ride down to the beach and read by the ocean.
Pretty rough life here in California.
These are some of my favorite fiction and nonfiction I read or re-read. I don’t think any of these came out in 2018 but all were incredibly enjoyable.
Grab these directly from Amazon or better yet, walk to your local book store purchase them IRL.
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Area X by Jeff Vandermeer
- Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
- No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
- Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and the Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Muraki
- House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski
- Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
- Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now by Jaron Lanier
- The Longevity Diet by Dr. Valter Longo
If I had to pick one fiction and one nonfiction to recommend, it’d be Area X and Deleting Your Social Media Accounts.
Area X is a brilliant piece of thriller and science fiction. It’s actually three books (Annihilation, Authority, and Acceptance) combined into one. The first book was made into a movie a couple years ago.
I think society as a whole would benefit from less time on social media, so I highly recommend you pick that one up and take some time away from your computer and phone.
Let me know your favorite books you read this year in the comments!