What would the end of the year be without a couple lists?
It’s hard for 2018 to compete with 2017, considering all my favorite artists got back together last year. But it was a good year for music, tons of new discoveries and plenty of albums on heavy rotation.
In no particular order, my favorite LPs & EPs of 2018.
- Tom Misch – Geography
- Lord Huron – Vide Noir
- Claude VonStroke – Live in Detroit
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Sex & Food
- Beach House – 7
- Sea & Cake – Any Day
- Saba – Care for Me
- Noname – Room 25
- Now Now – Saved
- Ryley Walker – Deafman Glance & Lillywhite Sessions
- Mick Jenkins – Pieces of a Man
- Pat Van Dyke – Hello Summer
- A Beacon School – Cola
- Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever – Hope Downs
- R+R=Now – Collagically Speaking
- Detroit Swindle – High Life
- NAO – Saturn
- Black Thought – Streams of Thought Vol. 1+2
- Leon VynHall – Nothing is Still
- DJ Koze – Knock Knock
- Wajatta – Casual High Technology
- Chillhop Essentials – Summer 2018
- Yung Gun Silver Fox – AM Waves
- St Vincent – MassEducation
- Vein – Errorzone
- Nathan Salsburg – Third
If you really pressed me, I’d Say Lord Huron, Tom Misch, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, and Noname released my favorite albums this year.
Everyone should check out Young Gun Silver Fox. They are so unabashedly fun and cheesy and they just rock.
Shout out to all the Chicago homies who killed it this year: Saba, Noname, Ryley Walker, Mick Jenkins and the Sea & Cake. Smino’s new one is still growing on me.
You can find a playlist with all my favorite tracks this year right above (and right here). Not everything was necessarily released this year. Press play and put it on shuffle.
Let me know some of your favorites in the comments!